Subject: Re: [Leica] 90mm recommendations
From: Henry Ambrose <henryambrose@home.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 07:57:27 -0600

>As far as I can tell, T400CN has 15 stops of contrast.  I thought that
>translated into more bits (since it's about 1 bit per zone).  At any rate,
>it should be scanned in 16-bit color and then squashed into one color
>channel, but that was not practical, given the color corrections and
>ultimate file size target.  Maybe there is a better way to express this.
>T400 has no shoulder for about 15 stops.
>
>Dante

C41 B&W films capture the widest scene range of anything I've tried. For
scanning B&W film they are the way to go. They are an excellent fit to
the capabilities of the CCD scanners.

If you like T400 you should  try Ilford XP2.
T400 has slightly finer "grain"
XP2has  smoothest gradation, incredible range - even more than T400.

Henry