Subject: Re: [Leica] Large Format vs. Leica
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@dysmedia.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 11:00:51 -0800

> For example, Tri-X in 35mm looks like hell at any EI.  Not pretty,
> and something you would only use if you needed it.

I'd have to take issue with that; but then, I *like* grain.  Tri-X remains
one of my favorite films at 35mm.

Speaking of this medium vs 35mm format discussion, have you read that essay
on photodo in which the author claims that with Tmax there is *no* inherent
advantage to larger formats?  I find it hard to believe -- as did the author
- -- but he claims tests show that blowing up a a 4x5 shot on Tmax 100 offers
no sharpness benefit over the same size enlargement from 35mm.

This seems radically counterintuitive to me, but then my large format work
tends towards transparencies (where the advantage is obvious).

Douglas Cooper
http://www.dysmedia.com

Replies: Reply from "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov> (Re: [Leica] Large Format vs. Leica)