Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R 24mm f2.8 & 180mm f4 questions
From: "C & C Property" <michael@scoates.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 19:30:20 -0000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Pascal" <cyberdog@attglobal.net>
To: "LUG" <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 4:07 PM

> On 07-01-2001 16:07, Pascal wrote:
> I'd say consensus in this group indicates that the Elmarit-R 24/2.8 is a
> very good performer, but that the Elmarit-R 28/2.8 is optically better.

I was in the same situation over a year ago when I decided to 'go Leica'.
My short lens range would either be a 24/35 or 28/50.  I did all the
research and decided on the 28/2.8 and 50/2.  The 24mm has got a mixed
reputation, but the 28 is regarded as the best 28mm on the market today.
The 24mm is made by Minolta, but the design is years old.  Heck, for me I
was upgrading FROM a Minolta SLR system!

If Leica where to replicate the M-asph lens into the R line, then...

I find the 28mm performance to be superb, from f/2.8 to f/22.  I have heard
that the older lens has a similar performance, the newer optic having a
floating element to allow it focus closely without losing its' corrections.
I plan to go superwide in the future with a lovely 19mm!

Simon Coates