Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: TTL vs nonTTL M6?
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:30:05 -0800

>> What is the optical/other difference between TTL and non TTL M6 's
>> please? Which is "better, easier and more reliable"??
>[snip]
>- Revised meter readout in the TTL is three lights (under, on, over),
>  they are now just like the Nikon FM (my old favorite in this regard).
>- Revised shutter speed selector works in the direction the meter arrows
>  point and is easier to work without taking the camera from your eye.
>- TTL shutter speed selector now has a specific "OFF" position to turn off
>  all circuitry.
>
>I decided to go with the TTL model because I like the new meter readout
>and shutter speed selector more than the old one and because I like the
>option of the TTL flash metering with the SF20 flash unit. The additional
>ambient metering sensitivity is a plus too.
>
>Godfrey

These were exactly the reasons I went with the TTL version of the M6
instead of the classic, which dropped in price a bit when the TTL appeared
and thus represented a slight savings over the newer model.

Never having used an M camera before, the fact that the shutter speed dial
turned in the opposite direction than earlier M cameras didn't bother me.
In fact, I prefered that you needed to turn it in the direction indicated
by the triangular LED's of the meter to get the correct exposure; this just
seemed more rational.

I also liked the fact that the meter now includes three lights: two inward
pointing triangles on the left and right and a central dot, indicating
correct exposure. I simply felt the single dot for correct exposure was
more straightforward than the two triangles, one of which - if I understand
it correctly - might be a bit dimmer than the other if the exposure is
either over or under. In different lighting conditions, that seemed like it
could be a bit difficult to discern (why say you classic users?) whereas
the single triangle indicating over/underexposure seemed clearer to me.

Guy
Los Angeles