Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:50 Summicron-R
From: "Javier Perez" <summitar@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:53:37 -0500

Here's my take on it
Looking at the lens from behind with the red dot at 2 o'clock

First cam is wedge shaped and at around 12 o'clock
Used on the flex standard for meter coupling and
on the SL2 for aperture readout in finder.
Not used on the SL or the Rs

Second cam is also wedge shaped, used on the SL and SL2
for metering. Not used on the Rs or the standard

Third and fourth cams are just attached to and just
inside the second cam  It resembles a 2 step tab
The the third cam is used on all the Rs for meter coupling
while the fourth cam is used on the R4 and later cameras.
I think it enables shutter priority and programmeb mode but am not sure
since it's position may also be dependant on the speed of the lens. These
cams are stamped from one piece of metal.

Now here's my question(s)
Why did they use both cams on the SL2
They could easily have added a tab to the lenses to correct
the aperture scale RTS style and avoided a second coupling.
And for that matter why did they switch to lower cam coupling on the SL.
Infact they could have kept that one single upstairs cam
all the way through the SL2 and still had aperture readout.
I don't think it had anything to do with the Super Angulon but I may be
wrong.
See Ya
Javier