Subject: [Leica] RE: Cosina still at it
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:47:08 -0800

At 06:31 PM 1/11/01 -0800, rusty hubbard wrote:

>  Next time you talk to him [Mr Kobyashi]..ask him to make a
>28-35-50mm Tri-Skopar....or whatever he wants to call it!..

I have to ask this. Since we are all Leica aficionados, and love the look
and feel of real Leica equipment and the unquestioned superior results,
like arguing if M's and R's made in Canada and/or Portugal are usable, why
in hell would someone want to by a brand-x version of something that Leica
has already done so masterfully. Read Erwin's report on the Tri-Elmar.
Stunning performance. Cannot possibly be equaled by any brand-x. Likewise
the 25mm whatever vs the 24/ASPH. Or the 75mm whatever vs the 75/1.4 Summilux.

I realize new prices of Leica lenses is higher than new prices of brand-x,
but used Leica prices are in line with brand-x new. And even though used,
they "are" Leica!

Now for lenses not covered by Leica, the 15mm and 12mm, that's a different
story. Worth getting.

And if Mr. Kobyashisan made a 28-50-90, the real Leica users might indeed
take notice.

Should you buy that Yugo Formula One car, or save up for the McLaren?

This is just my personal view of the hullabaloo surrounding Leica groupies
foaming at the mouth over Japanese Leica knock-offs.

:-)

Jim

PS... siht rof lleh hctac ot gniog m'I wonk I

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] RE: Cosina still at it)
Reply from "William Larsen" <ohlen@sierratel.com> (Re: [Leica] RE: Cosina still at it)