Subject: Re: [Leica]OT: Archival of digital images
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@idea-processing.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 23:10:30 -0800

> I have a MAC, I've been told I need an external drive. Any thoughts on
> what kind, and brand, I should be considering?

If it's a modern Mac with built-in FireWire I'd recommend the LaCie 12x
FireWire drive. Avoid the USB connections. If you have an older Mac then you
can use a SCSI version.

I've made about 1 coaster out of 100 attempts on the new LaCie. They have a
16x version as well. Comes with Toast which is THE software to write CD-R.

We'll see more and more Superdrives filtering down over the course of this
year. You can write DVD-R on those.

I like FireWire a lot. It has gotten better and better with each revision of
MacOS. Under 9.1, which I've been using for a while now, it works
wonderfully well. I do all my video connections via FireWire. Easier than
SCSI (no terminal or device number problems), it's hot swappable and
daisy-chainable. A cool and elegant technology.

I had a QPS 4x USB CD-R/W and hated it. I could only reliably write at 2x
and made more than my share of coasters. Now my wife uses it for low volume
stuff.

Hope this helps.

Adam Bridge
Split Second Films