Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Archival of digital images
From: Doug Herr <merlin@flyingemu.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2001 07:00:04 -0800

On Sat, 13 January 2001, Christopher Hoover wrote:

> For the members who are heavily into digital, how do you manage your media?
> Does anyone still use magneto-optical media these days? Is that still the
> most archival removable media? I think current CD-RW media doesn't provide
> much more than a few years of safety for your digital images. I'm excited
> about the digital revolution, but have to admit that I'm happy not to have
> to worry too much about magnetic rays affecting my old K64 slides!
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Hoover
> San Diego, CA

I'm not going to abandon film until this issue is resolved to my satisfaction.  Not having a CD writer I'm using zip disks but if I had a large quantity to archive, the expense of these disks would have me running to Fry's for wahtever CD writer was available.  Even then I consider digital images to be intermediate steps in the process.

I know of a father/son team of landscape photographers (using medium and large format) who have 350 GB of RAID storage, and they get rid of the original transparencies once scanned.  This is foolish IMHO.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!