Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W with no darkroom
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 04:44:01 +1100

>I'd like to explore B&W with my Leica but I have no dark room and, I have to
>admit, really no interest in having one.
>
>What's the alternative? I guess I could process my own film, that doesn't
>really take a darkroom does it and then scan the negatives into photoshop.
>
>Can I reliably send out B&W to a lab?
>
>What sort of film scanner should I be looking for given that I'm a novice. I
>have a Mac G4/450/MP that is my video editing system so I have tons of
>horsepower and about 200 GB of disk along with lots of archival storage, the
>least of which is CD-RW. So storing and managing images isn't an issue.
>
>I'd love recommendations about how to procede. I'd like to become good
>enough to make a quality B&W image.
>
>I plan on doing most of my color work with a digital camera at this point.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Adam Bridge

Adam,

Although you may not want to set up a darkroom, I would encourage you
to at least consider it. There is something magical about working in
red lights, and seeing images "appear". Here in Australia, even the
professional labs seem to do a lousy job of b/w.

A home darkroom need not be a huge commitment. To develop film, a
simple tank and reel, and a dark change bag is about all you need.
Add a timer, chemical measures (kitchen ones are fine) and a little
experience, and the negs are ready.

In these days of digital work, there are a zillion enlargers going
cheap second hand. Pick up a 35mm Durst, or even better a Leica, 3
trays, a red light, thongs, and you are away. Multicontrast paper
means your storage is minimized, and you will not need print dryers
etc.

The alternative of piezo printing from your computer screen is best
left to others to suggest, and is doubtless a perfectly adequate
substitute, if you don't mind missing a bit of "soul". Oh I'll add
that it is much cheaper to set up a good darkroom than a good digital
work station. The scanner alone will kill you, and around the corner
the next generation. My scanner is now almost useless even if it
produces adequate quality, as it is slow, and cannot be driven by "G"
series Macs (or at least I don't think it can) and it would not be
worth spending much to do it anyway.

Cheers
- --
Alastair Firkin