Subject: Re: [Leica] 0.58 vs 0.72 Mag Finder
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:27:16 -0800

Julian,

I began with a 0.72 M6 TTL and just recently bought a second M body - a
0.58. So far, my impressions are very positive. The 35 framelines are much
easier to see and even the 28 frames are visible. I haven't yet experienced
any flare, though perhaps that's because I haven't yet shot enough with it.
I do feel that the reduced magnification makes it occasionally *slighty*
difficult to focus on small details (such as highlights in the subject's
eyes), but this may just be because my eyes are still used to the 0.72
magnification. On the whole, however, I am quite pleased with the new vf.

As for which camera you should start with, I would say to go with the one
that best accomodates the focal lengths you plan on using most: if you're
definitely more of a wide angle person, go with the 0.58. If you're tempted
by the 90 Summicron and/or the 75 Summilux, you may want to consider the
0.72. On the other hand, you may well wind up with both one day (as I did),
so don't worry *too* much about the initial choice. Once you've "taken the
plunge," there always be another Leica purchase on the horizon.

Guy
L.A.