Subject: Re: [Leica] Week 2 and a bonus
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:07:22 -0500

Guy Bennett jotted down the following:

> Liked very much your "Winter in Columbus," particularly the vertical vs
> horizontal organization of the composition, and the near/far juxtaposition.
> There are also some nice visual "echos" (the arches of the bridge and the
> inverted arches of the hanging chain of the fence; the blocks of the
> buildings in the distance and the heavy posts of the fence in the
> foreground), and some interesting textures (the smooth snow and the rough
> rocks/clunky chain links).

Wow.  I managed all that? ;)

> What camera/lens combo did you use? How about film? How did you meter, with
> all that bright snow around?

Voigtländer Bessa-L, 25mm Skopar.  Metered with a Sekonic 308B-II in
incident mode, exposure probably around 1/250 at f/8 or f/11, but I never
record that stuff.  Shot on Agfa AP250 movie stock, developed for 15.5 min @
72F in Rodinal 1:100, printed on Ilford Multigrade IV RC Pearl, toned for 10
minutes in 1:10 selenium and HCA solution.  Scanned on an Epson Expression
1600 scanner, B&W points set and unsharp mask applied in Photoshop 5.5, and
viewed on a monitor of your choice!

I could probably cut down on the flare if I'd bothered to burn in the sky a
little more with a softer filter.

Thanks for your comments: I appreciate them a lot.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | It's not who you are, it's who
email: howard.390@osu.edu         | you know that counts.