Subject: Re: [Leica] Rarely covered topic: Best Leica R lens values
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:15:14 -0800

IMHO,  the real deals are in the used market.  The 180 3.4 APO, 135mm 2.8,
90mm Elamrit and Summicron, 60mm macro, the 28mm Elmarit (previous version),
35mm Summicron (current version) and Elmarit, 21mm SA, all seem to go in the
$700 range when I have seen them sell on ebay.  The 21mm SA and 35mm
Summcron might be a little more, the 135mm and 28mm a little less.  The 21mm
is a little less contrasty and slightly more flare prone than the current
19mm, but focuses closer and takes 72mm filters.  The 28mm may be a little
less contrasty and more curved field than the latest version, but is
excellent nonetheless.  The 90mm lenses work nicely with an Elpro for going
down to 1:3 macro.  Erwin says the newest 180mm lenses blow away the 3.4,
but it is still a lens that can challenge the best of your technique, and
takes 60mm filters, for a nice combination with the 35-70 f4.  The non-APO
2x is also a bargain at $400 or less - and works very well with the 135 or
180 3.4.  The older Series VII (54mm) 90mm Summicron is a real bargain as it
is the same formula as the later lenses -- a 54-55mm step up ring gives you
the functional equivalent and can save lots of $$.

Tom

> As it's a perspective rarely discussed topic, and offers huge opinion
> skewing, I thought I would share some thoughts on cost/value of some Leica
> lenses.

> First, the 50mm Summicron R.  Renders beautiful images, Leica sharp.
Turbo