Subject: Re: [Leica] LUX vs CRON
From: Al Edwards <alwards@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:42:21 -0800 (PST)

In one hand, the 35 Summilux ASPH; in the other, the
35 Summicron ASPH.

Holding them still, I can't tell which is which.
Jiggle them up and down a few times and
the Summilux ASPH fights you more, but I'm not
sure I would notice this unless I were looking for
it. Weight is too close to be an issue. (The Summicron
ASPH must have some big thick elements!)

The Summicron ASPH on an M6 looks like
a minimal P&S to the lay person, hence
less obtrusive. The M6 with the Summilux
on it gets more nods of recognition and "Wow, nice
camera!" remarks -- not necessarily
a good thing.

The M6 with the Summicron fits more easily
into a pocket, but the stubbier lens and smaller
shade mean it's easier to drop.

Pictorially, they are different, but mostly in
the out-of-focus areas, with the Summilux
showing harder highlights. Erwin Puts remarks
this on his web pages. Doesn't make any difference,
in my opinion, but it's there to note.

Only if I were really close to a human subject
shooting wide-open would I pick one over the other:
the Summicron, because the transition
to the out-of-focus areas is smoother and more
flattering. Since this behavior affects the portrayal
of the subject, and not the extraneous space, I
think it's relevant regardless of your feelings about
b***h -- that is, whether or not you think b***h
is b******t.

The Summilux ASPH is quite usable at f/1.4.

I intended to sell one of these, but noticed that
I was using them fifty-fifty. Don't ask how I ended
up with both: I should have spent the money on
6,000 feet of Agfapan APX 100, Delta 100, and
Pan-F+ -- I don't know if there's such a thing as
shooting
too much film, but striving for greater film
consumption
has done more for my images than all this fancy
glass.

- -Al