Subject: [Leica] digital v. film, 35mm v. MF v. LF, how many dpi, etc etc -- some info
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 14:04:30 -0500

We had a lot of heat and little light in the last couple of months over dpi
and resolution and scans and printing and how many megapixels you needed to
equal film and all the rest of it. Someone pointed me at this page:

    http://www.users.qwest.net/~rnclark/scandetail.htm

which <AMAZEMENT> actually uses practical tests to tease out the answers to
some of these questions </AMAZEMENT>. I am not going to summarise anything
here as the summaries are on the page itself (scroll down). However, if you
ever wondered how many megapixels it took to equal 35mm Velvia, or how many
lpi a good print resolves, or whether you could see differences between 2700
dpi, 4000 dpi and 6000 dpi when scanning 35mm, here are actual pictures
which go some way to answering your questions.
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com