Subject: Re: [Leica] kids? leica? a stern reprimand from the PLUG
From: Tom Finnegan <TomF@piengr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 08:47:30 -0800

> unlike skiing,
> photography is about the RESULT not the JOURNEY.

This is probably the first thing Kyle's ever posted that I disagree
COMPLETELY on. For me it's all about the journey. The photographs are a
means to an end, which is seeing better. I could make lots of pictures that
other people would like, perhaps using an EOS or whatever (and you know I
love my T90, right?) but that's not the point at all.

I think it's a LOT more like skiing (or snowboarding in my case) than making
sausages.
- --
Johnny Deadman

I was about to say something very similiar, but Johnny beat me to it. If the
journey isn't enjoyable, then before long you're going to get burned out or
bored with the whole thing, even if you do get the results. Obviously, if
you are photographing for a living, then the results will have to take
precedent. But even then, if the journey isn't also enjoyable then you will
get burned out or it will all just become grinding drudgery. I would bet
that this is quite common in the pro photo ranks. Yet, it doesn't have to be
that way. Just look at someone like Ted. He's been photographing
professionaly for longer than I've been alive, and he obviously still loves
to get out and take pictures.

As for skiing, if I am free skiing, then the journey is everything. On the
other hand, if I am racing, which I pretend to do occasionaly, then how I
get down the hill is irrelevent and all that matters is my time, and whether
I beat my opponent in the lane next to me, and even more importantly, did I
beat my teammates, or am I buying the beer that night.

As for sausages, making them can actually be sort of fun. At least as long
as I'm not doing it for a living. And chances are they are going to taste
pretty good. If I somehow really botch things up and they are inedible, then
the neighbors chickens will be getting a little extra food, but at least I
had fun making them.

Tom (tomba) Finnegan
Seattle