Subject: RE: [Leica] kids? leica? a stern reprimand from the PLUG
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:06:29 -0800

Chunky is a soup - you eat it with a spoon!
No, it's a meal - use a fork!

How about:  Photography is both a journey and a destination.  To someone viewing prints made by someone else, the prints are all that is important (except if they're a collector or curator).  To someone who is doing their own photography, the experience is a complex and personal melange of process and result.  Each of these feeds into the other, in addition to standing on its own.

No photographer, when viewing his own images, can avoid having his response to them coloured by the memory of taking them.  This is why photographers make notoriously poor editors of their own work.

Ultimately, photography is a communicative art, and we have to remember that the viewer has no knowlege of what we went through to create the image.  For them, the image will resonate with their experience, not ours.

So IMO it's only to a viewer that the result is solely important.  To those of us who take the pictures, we can take whatever experience and meaning we wish from both the jouney and the arrival.

Paul Chefurka