Subject: Re: [Leica] 75mm f1.4 Summilux-M - a disaster
From: "William Larsen" <ohlen@sierratel.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:13:56 -0800

Martin Howard, a true scholar who is not just visiting the
LUG asks:

> Interesting.  I take it you are using the 14167 Viso-to-R
adaptor?  What
> kind of reproduction ratios do you get?  What kind of
> front-of-lens-to-subject distance?

Yes, I use a 14167 Viso-to-R adaptor.  The adaptor allows
M-mount equipment (specifically the Viso II and III
equipment) to be used on a R-Leica.  It steps down the mount
size and gives the same registration with the 14167+R as the
M-Leica+Viso II or III.  The adaptor is still available from
Leica dealers but they can be had for much less from used.

I originally bought mine to adapt the Viso Bellows II to the
R-cameras and using either the head of the 50 Summicron or
the 90 "flat elmar" as the lenses.  Currently I am using a
Viso 200/4 Telyt V on the R with the adaptor (a lens that
performs stunningly).

I don't know the reproduction ratio --- I can't get to the
tables and I am mathematically challenged lately.  With TTL
metering, I don't worry anymore because I don't have to
figure effective aperture.  As to front lens-to-subject
distance, as I recall it is about 6 inches.  My wife wanted
a picture of a stamen on one of her flowers and I wanted to
know how the lens would perform.  (worked great got
stamen+pollen grains).

Of course there is no way you will ever get infinity
focusing (sigh what a candidate for a removable lens head).

(Martin, excuse the long explanation, but I had other
queries about this off-list and wanted to post on-list
because if I am wrong (gasp), someone will correct me).

Regards, Bill Larsen
from  California's Heartland