Subject: [Leica] Re: Makers of Leica Lenses
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 12:07:38 -0500

Robert Fleischman <RFXMAIL@prodigy.net> wrote:

> Elmar: Wasn't this the name of someone's wife? Like maybe Oscar
> Barnack's? Or the lens designer? What was his name? Max Berek.
> Maybe his wife. Best I can do on that one.

Elmar is derived from Elmax, which stands for Ernst Leitz & MAX Berek. Berek
designed the 50mm f/3.5 lens used on the Leica 1 and preceding prototypes.
It was originally known as the Anastigmat, then in 1925 was renamed the
Elmax. When Berek redesigned the lens to reduce costs the result was given
the name Elmar. I don't know whether or not the R has any significance.
Elmax Reduktion? Or maybe it was chosen simply because it looked or sounded
good.

- -Dave-