Subject: RE: [Leica] my first test with the 12/5.6
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 18:39:04 -0800

At 7:46 PM -0500 1/20/01, Dan Cardish wrote:
>I've thought of that, and in fact I think Voigtlander sells a bubble level
>thingy to attach to the hot shoe.  Problem is, to make sense of this I
>think you would have to use a tripod, and I generally don't use one.
>
>dan .c
>
>At 04:38 PM 20-01-01 -0800, Frank Filippone wrote:
>>You might want to consider a bubble level?  It would help with the
>>horizon.... I use a Craftsman bubble level just laid on top of my
>>hood.....this does require a tripod and a flat spot on the hood!  Cost is
>>about $4.
>>
>>Frank Filippone
>>red735i@earthlink.net

Dan, I have the bubble level and double shoe and they work well,
although only in horizontals. I use this handheld. If I use a tripod
I use a better level; an electronic one I carry with me on all
architectural shoots.

Another solution is one of the little shoe mounted levels and the
Voigtländer double shoe. You can't see the bubbles as well from the
shooting position with your eye to the finder, but they work in both
horizontal and vertical orientations.

Usually I find the light falloff unobjectionable, but if I want to
even it out Voigtländer makes a filter adapter that takes 77mm
filters, and Heliopan makes a relatively reasonable center filter. If
you have other center filters, any of the larger ones from 82mm on up
can be adapted and won't vignette.

Watch out for some center filters that have a sharp transition from
the grey to the completely clear; this doesn't matter for the 72mm
and longer focal lengths they were designed for, but the dof of the
12mm is such that this transition can be visible. I have an older
filter for the 90/5.6SA that's fine, but a newer one for the
72/5.6SA-XL is not. It's the same problem that the 15 Hologon filter
had and caused a visible line in even toned (sky) areas.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com