Subject: Re: [Leica] Spam, virtual and real [Was: Herbal V]
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 18:47:14 -0500

Guy Bennett jotted down the following:

> I've tried asking to be removed from lists like this one when the spammer says
> that one can be removed from the list upon request, but that doesn't seem to
> work.

All that does is confirm that your email address is active and that there is
someone at the other end reading the message.  So, the spam traffic
increases.

Just delete it.  I use mailboxes and filter rules to place stuff where it is
supposed to go.  For example, everything which is directly mailed to my
address goes into one box.  All mailing list messages go into their own
boxes.  That way, anything which just gets sent to me and isn't part of a
list message or isn't addressed to me directly stays in the inbox.  It's in
all probability spam.  And so it gets automatically deleted.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | "Any sufficiently advanced technology
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |  is indistiguishable from magic."
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |               -- Arthur C. Clarke