Subject: RE: [Leica] Yasuhara T-981
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 06:52:17 +0000

Jem Kime wrote:

>Indeed, I had a Yasuhara as Joseph mentioned, though I had nowhere near the
>complaints that he suffered.
>
>In fact, it's hard to recall what disappointments I did have. It was
>flimsy, with plastic parts and the sound of the shutter was quite 'clacky'.
>It held a distinguished position as the first screw mount rangefinder to be
>made in Japan since the mid 1960s. I eventually sold mine on to Stephen
>Gandy whose web site now contains pictures and some information about the
>camera.

I recall some years back when this camera was first announced. The demand
could not meet supply. Was was even more laughable (now) was that there was
a ballot to see who would get the chance to own the first batch of the
T-981 with appropriate early serial numbers.

I had thought that it was poor marketing and insufficient manufacturing
which killed interest in this camera. People lost interest and confidence
and less even want to put money in to order. Now we have owners who are
forthcoming in their tales of dismay about this camera. With better
alternatives like the Bessa R and the Hexar RF, the T-981 has no chance.

Dan K.

          To handle a hard situation, try a soft answer.