Subject: [none]
From: Tom Finnegan <TomF@piengr.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:25:45 -0800

Michael E. Berube wrote:
To my eye it would be absolutely perfect if the reflection
from the trees weren't in the photo on the left. I don't recall if I
mentioned Week 2's shot at all, but I love it. Very dreamlike.

Doug Herr wrote:
The rowing shell is very cool, except I think the lower left corner is a bit
distracting.  I love the perspective and design of this photo.

As Seattle area Luggers can surmise, the shot was taken from the Montlake
Bridge. The U of W crew can often be seen out training in the mornings on
Union Bay or in the Montlake cut. I was out on a morning bike ride this last
Saturday when I saw them coming down the cut, so I stopped and shot a few
pictures. Unfortunately they were staying close to the north bank, so the
tree shadows couldn't be avoided. I took a similar shot a number of years
ago that is on the MSN LUG site that I like a bit better. In that case it
was a 8 person shell in the middle of the channel, but with the 35 I still
picked up reflections from both sides. Maybe I need to try it again with a
50 fro a bit tighter crop.
http://content.communities.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=show_photo&ID_Comm
unity=Leicausers&ID_Topic=55&ID_Message=427

The week 2, 2001 shot is from night skiing up at Alpental ski area (1 hour
from town) in a very heavy fog. My scanner seemed to have a hard time
handling the fog, so the scan isn't as smooth looking as the negative.

Tom Finnegan
Seattle