Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 or 50mm as standard lens - the need for speed ?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:27:54 -0800

Peter Zak wrote:

> I've got 35, 50 and 90mm Summicrons.
>
> There is something about the M system that causes a disease, a lusting, a
> wanting - for speed!!
>
> I've more or less convinced myself that I need to get either a Summilux ASPH
> 35 or 50mm.  I like both of the 35 and 50 mm focal lengths and use both of
> then for street shooting, I find then both more than useful.
>
> As I'm trying to adhere to the one body on lens style, when I have the 50 on
> the M, I wish I had the 35 and vice-versa.  Nothing some quick footwork
> can't usually fix.
>
> But I can only "invest" in one 'Lux - so which one to get ?
>
> As I used the 35 and 50 for some time I'm acquainted with their +/-'s, but
> what I'm hoping for is that someone can help clarify my own thinking with a
> well timed and worded comment...
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Peter Zak.

I would invest in the 35mm Lux if you've got the cash but i don't think the m
system makes one lust for speed so much.
With slr's a faster lens means a brighter groundglass which pops in and out faster.
This doenst happen with an M. The frames look the same only with a faster lens
you may see less of the bottem.
With an M when you shoot at F 2 with a Summicron the results are so excellent
that you don't worry about f1.4 so much.
At least i haven't.
I'll use a light extender!
As Ted mentioned Bill Pierce used to talk about way back. A tripod.
And another light extender is a twinkie light if you ask me.
I go out most often with my 35 Summicron Asph on the camera and the 50 Summicron
in the bag with 2 spare rolls of film.
That's my kit. Shows where I'm at. And usually the film is Delta 400 but last
week in Maui it was 100. It's bright over there. And when the sun goes down i
use an extender!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon
USA

updated temporary Website by "Foxy": http://spokenword.to/rabiner/
(consisting of late night E-mail descriptions of photos)