Subject: RE: [Leica] Italy: Camera/lens advice
From: "Steve Unsworth" <steve.unsworth@Bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:37:26 -0000

Peter

I live in the UK and had ten days in northern Italy last September. I'll get
the camera bit over first. Take the Leica/meter with 35mm, 50mm and 90mm
lenses. If you can afford it consider splashing out on a Voigtlander 25mm.

When I went my M2 was in for repair - I've added an M6 since - so I took my
Pentax MZ-10 + 28-200 zoom - looking at the pictures I took and comparing
them with the ones I took with the Leicas in Paris in October, the Leica
wins hands down in terms of image quality (no suprise there :-).

If you feel comfortable with it I would recommend taking slide film - as you
might expect, film is easily obtainable in Italy so don't worry if you feel
you haven't taken enough.

I stayed in Bologna and the rail service is both cheap and excellent (yes
the train do still run on time). As well as Bologna I got to Venice,
Florence, Padua, Ravenna and Rome. I never felt intimidated at all, as a non
Italian speaker the only problem I had was in making myself understood from
time to time, so enjoy your stay.

If you've any questions that I might be able to answer just ask, either
privately or on the list.

Have a wonderful time - I imagine spring would be an ideal time to go, warm
and with great light.

And one final tip, drinks can be expensive, so if you want a coke (or a piss
for that matter), go to the nearest McDonalds - but promise you won't get
anything to eat :-)

Steve