Subject: [Leica] Early Macintosh Computers [was: One of those annoying...]
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:49:37 -0800

>The first Mac, circa 1984, with no hard drive, 512K RAM, and the entire OS
>could be contained on one 3.5" floppy disk.  I believe it cost US$2,500!
>
>Joseph

This is pretty much what I paid for my first Mac, an "SE," which I bought
in '88 or '89. I later upgraded it to an SE30 and added some additional
RAM. That brought the price up to somewhere between $3,000. and $3,500. USD.

I have since bought two other Macs, and paid roughly the same price for
them as I did for the "sooped up" (or should I say "souped up" on this
list?) SE. I imagine the next Mac I buy will cost more or less the same.

Is the a case of a company having determined what consumers are willing to
pay for a product and sticking with that price or are there other,
hopelessly complicated issues at work here that threaten to turn this into
a major s***-kicking OT thread?

Guy