Subject: Re: [Leica] Italy: Camera/lens advice
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:33:20 -0800

Ted Grant says:

> Ok, so last night I should have had "a cup of coffee and a cigarette"
> instead of a few glasses of Lagavulin... I got a tad bit offensive in my
> response.. I hope Peter didn't take it personally. However... Sandy got
> reeeeeeeallllllllly ticked off about the way I responded and I see I could
> have omitted the "dumb-assed question" comment.
>
> I quess I didn't consider that people who aren't as experienced do have
> problems deciding what to take along on these trips.

No, Ted, Peter didn't take it at all personally.  As Senior Statesman
and Curmudgeon-at-Large of the LUG, you have earned the right to your
opinions with many images and much shoe leather.  But do note that in my
original query I said that I was just as interested in the reasoning
behind people's choices as in the choices themselves.

It's not just a matter of experience, it's also perspective and goals.
A professional's goal, first and foremost, is to get every possible
picture that the job might require.  Equipment is a means to that end.
Comfort, cost, hassle, risk of theft, sightseeing, and being fair to
one's no-phtographer spouse on the trip are much smaller
considerations.  You can't afford to miss THE shot because you left your
PangaLeitzische HektorBlitzer at home.

My goals are a bit different.  First and foremost, I want to experience
Italy with my wife.  Photography is important, but it isn't the only
thing.  There's no way I'm going to load myself down with every camera
and lens I own, since we will be on foot most of the time. So I have to
determine my own best ratio of bulk and weight to capability

> The bottom line for equipment in the simplest form could be to take along
> the widest possible lens you have, something in the middle and the longest.
> Beyond that, take your favorite lens and enjoy your trip.

Now you're talking!  Actually, I'm thinking in this direction now.
Leica RF stuff is smaller and often lighter than SLR stuff, so I'm
inclined to take the M4-P despite my trepidation about theft. I've found
that my homeowner's insurance covers my cameras, so it's probably worth
risking the $250 deductible and replacement hassle to have the really
good stuff along.  In this scenario, I'll bring my 35/2 Summicron and my
90/4 Elmar, but instead of the 50/2 Summicron I'll bring my 50/1.4
Nikkor.  This gives me one very fast lens where I really need it, and
the Nikkor is fine as an outdoor 50, too.

I might (MIGHT) also try to get hold of a 24mm lens like the current
Cosina.  I can't justify a Leitz lens in that category right now.

Interestingly, the Luna Pro Digital may be quicker and street-smarter
than using a TTL meter.  The readings are quick, and you spend less time
staring through the viewfinder matching needles while some Street Thief
of Indeterminate Ethnic Origin rifles your pockets.  Though it's one
more thing to carry, it weighs only 3.5 ounces.

As for flash or a tripod, as they say in Noo Yawk, "fugghedaboudit!"
The little point-and-shoot I'll take as a backup has built-in flash for
those times when it's flash or nothing.

If I take the OM-2, I have other problems, because the size of the
lenses adds up faster.  Also, my best Zuikos are my 50/1.8 and 28/2.8.
The others are older, single-coated lenses that are not so good at the
widest couple of apertures.  If I was designing an SLR outfit for the
trip, I'd probably want a 35-70 or 35-85 zoom, a newer 50/1.4 and a 24
or 28/2.0.  None of which I've got.  So if I do take the Olympus, either
I've got some serious buying to do, or take the 28/2.8, 50/1.4 and
100/2.8 and settle for noticeably lesser quality when the light gets
dim.  Or take the 50/1.8 instead and lose that extra stop for a bit more
quality in the 50.

Regardless of what I take, I'm going to try to get some kind of
belt-with-pouches or fanny pack that doesn't scream "camera."  Keeping
the weight off your shoulders and on your hips means less pain and more
energy.

Anyway, that's how I'm leaning today.

- --Peter

Replies: Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Italy: Camera/lens advice)