Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz Wetzlar Back on Top
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 10:27:05 -0500

"Dante A. Stella" wrote:

> Yeah, ask Voigtlander... er Cosina and Contax... er Kyocera and Rollei... er
> Samsung and Nikon... er Mitsubishi...

The above is a basket of apples, oranges, and a lemon or two.

There is a big difference between someone purchasing the name of a
defunct company and putting it on a line of products - i.e., Cosina
calling their LTM lenses Voigtlander, and a conglomerate purchasing a
company and then operating that company as a division within the
conglomerate - i.e., the Nikon and Rollei examples.

The idea of stamping Leicas with Leitz and Wetzlar is its own basket of
apples and oranges. The Leitz stamp is meaningless - albeit more than a
bit pathetic - in that the company is the same, it changed its own name,
and wants - allegedly - to now put its original history-ladden name on a
line of products. But I would suggest that the Wetzlar issue is
different and - forgive me, you Leicaholics - borders on fraud. The
products are NOT made in Wetzlar. And putting Wetzlar on a camera made
in Solmes is a bit like Kyocera putting a Made in Germany sticker on its
G2s - something Kyocera does NOT do.

B. D.

Replies: Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Leitz Wetzlar NOT Back on Top)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Leitz Wetzlar Back on Top)