Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz Wetzlar Back on Top
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 09:45:46 -0800

>The idea of stamping Leicas with Leitz and Wetzlar is its own basket of
>apples and oranges. The Leitz stamp is meaningless - albeit more than a
>bit pathetic - in that the company is the same, it changed its own name,
>and wants - allegedly - to now put its original history-ladden name on a
>line of products. But I would suggest that the Wetzlar issue is
>different and - forgive me, you Leicaholics - borders on fraud. The
>products are NOT made in Wetzlar. And putting Wetzlar on a camera made
>in Solmes is a bit like Kyocera putting a Made in Germany sticker on its
>G2s - something Kyocera does NOT do.
>
>B. D.

I agree on the above. I also find it curious that folks would find
desirable a Leica M6, that is marked: "Leica M6" on the front of the top
plate, "Leica Wetzlar" on the top of the top plate, and then has something
else inscribed on the back of the top plate (don't recall exactly,
probably: "Leica" and "Made In Germany").

It's a bit like wearing a Gap sweatshirt that has "GAP" written on the back
and front.

Guy (whose beginning to get a feel for black tape)

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Leitz Wetzlar Back on Top)
Message from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] Leitz Wetzlar Back on Top)
Message from "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] Leitz Wetzlar Back on Top)