Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon 55/1.2 images WAS Noctilux vs Those "Other" lenses
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:51:32 -0500

just a couple of examples from my FD 55/1.2. These are both wide open.

The first is an example of something you can't do with a Noctilux or any
other M lens... get damn close. The problem at f/1.2 of course is that your
DOF is vanishingly small and if you are focusing on an eye, like this, the
split image is not a great method.

    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/images/55-a.jpg

The second shows that even shooting into bright light wide open, flare is
*very* well controlled.

    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/images/55-b.jpg

The bokeh on this lens is lovely, BTW, and contrast and detail are both more
than acceptable even wide open. This is an SSC version if that means
anything to anyone. It weighs a ton.

One thing I did notice is that on an SLR, 55 is just too long to reliably
handhold at 1/30.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com