Subject: Re: [Leica] Tilley Two; The beginning
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 10:41:16 -0800

Tina says, re. Mephisto shoes:
> The best walking shoes ever.  I bought 4 pair in France and have worn them
> for years.  I think they will last longer than I will!  They are now

Three years ago, just before my first trip ever to Europe (France), I
had to get a pair of good walking shoes.  My wife absolutely forbade me
to wear sneakers or jeans in Paris, and she was right.  The French treat
you a lot better if you don't look or act like an "ugly American."
You'll all note I've gotten similar advice about Italy.

Anyway, I went nuts trying to find something suitable.  I wear size 13
going on 14, and nothing fit. If it looked good, it didn't have enough
arch support.  If it had support, it looked like a mountain boot.
Finally, in desparation, I went into Nordstrom. "Nordies" is in general
an overpriced upscale department store, but they have great service, and
on shoes they are reasonable.  The saleswoman took one look at my feet,
and brought out a pair of Mephistos.  Wow!  She said, "I know this is
more than you wanted to spend, but look at it this way.  They cost about
four times what a good pair of Nikes will cost, but they will last
longer than four times longer, and then you can resole them.  Your feet
will thank you."

She was right.  I love those shoes!  I can walk all day, and my feet are
fine.  So I bought French shoes in the U.S. to go to France.  You can
bet they will be my prime footwear when I go to Italy.

- --Peter