Subject: [Leica] Leica service realities
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 18:49:58 -0500

I spoke by telephone earlier today with one of the independent Leica repair people
who is often praised here. Was told there are 200 cameras waiting in the shop for
service, most for standard clean/lube/adjust, which (if there are no snags) takes a
minimum of 3 hours attention. Do the math: this means nearly 4 months of work ahead,
based on a 40-hour week.
I suppose even success has its price, but I wonder whether some of us should start
learning how to service cameras because, quite obviously, there are too few qualified
people in this business right now.
I now understand why my camera has been waiting in line for 6 weeks with no change in
functional status.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal