Subject: Re: [Leica] funerals ! :-(
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:13:15 -0500

And Ted Grant responded that as news assignments, funerals can be
horrors...

I want to agree with both, and suggest that the difference is whether
you are a.) welcome at said funeral, and b.) intrusive...

In deference to Ted, it is virtually impossible NOT to be intrusive at
many funerals covered as news assignments. After all, those holding the
funeral would rather you weren't there, so by definition you are
intrusive, even if you are being your least intrusive.

But I agree with Johnny that funerals can be fine things to photograph.
If a family is open to the idea, a funeral presents a terrific
opportunity to photograph an entire family functioning as a family. It
is, in fact, one of the few times when entire families come together.

See A Family's Farewell at www.a-day-in-our-life.com

You may not like the choice of photos posted - or the photos for that
matter - but I believe this will illustrate the point I'm trying to
make. And, I would also note...The old woman in the photos "Kitchen
Work" and "Looking Back," herself died within a year of the funeral. And
her daughter - shown with her in "Kitchen Work" - has repeatedly told me
how much it means to her to have those photos...which she wouldn't have
had had I not been photographing the funeral and events around it.

All of which is to say, the funeral thing can cut both ways.

B. D.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] funerals ! :-()
Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] funerals ! :-()
Message from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] funerals ! :-()