Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Kodak Photo CD
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@cs.berkeley.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:06:00 -0800

George Hartzell writes:
 > [...]
 > If you're a photoshop user, you have a choice of two ways to get the
 > images from the CD into Photoshop.
 >
 >    - There's a folder in the CD named "Photos", which contains a set
 >      of folders, one per resolution, that contain Pict files of each
 >      image.  You can just open these directly and go.
 >
 >    - There's a folder named PHOTO_CD that contains "pcd" files
 >      (usually with funny semi-colons and crap in their name).  I use
 >      the PhotoCD Acquire plug-in from
 >
 >      http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/software/pcdAcquireModule.shtml
 >
 >      to open these.  This module give you a lot of control over how
 >      you move the image from the PhotoCD color space into your working
 >      color space.
 >
 >      I've found that this method works much better.
 > [...]

Turns out that there's a third way [at least in Photoshop 6.0].  If
you choose Open in the File menu, then choose one of the .pcd files in
PHOTO_CD/images, you can use a built-in photoshop importer.  I haven't
had any experience with this method, but it seems to work fairly
well.  It seems like it's worth experimenting with before you load the
third party kodak software (rule of thumb, the less software you load,
the less likely the darn this is to crash).

g.

Message from George Hartzell <hartzell@cs.berkeley.edu> (Re: [Leica] Re: Kodak Photo CD)