Subject: Re: [Leica] Question on Leica Reporter
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:55:17 +0100

Debra,

Look at the shutter speed dial. If the top speed is 1/500 sec., you have the
model known as 250FF (serial no. between 130001 and 150124). If the shutter
speed goes up to 1/1000 sec., you have the 250GG. Less than 200 of the latter
were equipped with a motor drive (out of a total production of the Reporter of
just under 1000). All this information is from the Leica Pocket Book (6th ed.).

According to the Leica International Price Guide, 8th ed. (2000), the values of
the different models are as follows:

250FF: $12500
250GG: $10000
250GG motor coupled: $10000
250GG with matching motor drive: $65000

This is for cameras in average used condition. If yours is truly mint, it will
be worth more. I suggest that you invest some time and money in having this
camera assessed and appraised and sell it via a reputable auction house such as
Christie's.

Nathan

Debra Snell wrote:

> I am trying to determine the value, etc. of my newly inherited Leica
> Reporter. I have been asked if it has a motor drive. I have never taken the
> camera out of it's case and am wondering how I would determine if this
> camera has a motor drive.
>
> I would like to see if it has the cassests (?) as well. It is in such good
> condition that I am afraid to do anything with it, since there are no
> instructions...
>
> Can anyone walk me through the process?
> Thanks,
> Debra