Subject: Re: [Leica] Vignetting / Masking: Why?
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 00:42:42 EST

 Bob, it sounds like your film had not caught in the sprocket of the camera.
The first two or three frames would be 'slanted" in the camera and as you
advanced it would ultimately be pulled up on the sprocket drive. You might
want to take off the plastic wheel on your baseplate and stick it on the
Rapidwinder and see if that makes a difference. I am so used to checking the
that the film is properly seated on sprocket that it has become second nature
to me. It is something that can happen with or without plastic wheel - I
suspect the culprit is the spring inside the 'tulip" of the M6 take-up spool.
Supposedly it should prevent the film from moving to far up in the take-up
spool, but I find that it can also apply enough pressure on the edge of a
film to push it down, off the sprocket drive. It was a common problem with
the old screw-mount cameras — you could often see the film perforations in
the edge of the image.
Tom A

Replies: Reply from "Tom Furlotte" <tfurlott@midsouth.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Vignetting / Masking: Why?)