Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - how to spell 'lens'
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 22:35:21 -0800 (PST)

Al wrote:
>       What lense to use on Focomat I enlarger?

This is fascinating - I notice this spelling of 'lens'
all over the internet . . .(snip)
The other peculiarity is the aperature. Do people actually pronounce it
like that or are they just not able to make the mental link between
oral and witten expression?

And what about the spelling of "its", often miss-spelled "it's"? I
suppose I'm being pedantic but this really irritates me. "Its" denotes
possession; "it's" is an abbreviation of "it is".  For example: "It's
time the dog ate its food."  "That house lets in water through its roof
whan it's raining."

Another annoyance is the split infinitive. Perhaps the most famous
example on TV was the Startrek blather about: "To boldly go . . ."
Don't they teach English in schools any more or are people just not
good at learning?

Then there are tautologies like "very unique". What the **** do they
think "unique" means?

There really ought to be a society for the prevention of language
abuse. Grrrrr!

End of rant. I feel better now :-)

Regards,

=====