Subject: Re: [Leica] New type of batteries
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:13:50 +1100

Peter Klein wrote:

> Horst, are these "Grandcells" Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries?  I use
> them in some of my portable amateur radio gear.  They seem to be better
> than the old NiCad batteries--higher voltage and more milliamp-hour
> capacity for the same volume.  They also don't have the "memory" effect
> NiCads have, and they hold a charge longer if left unused for a time.
>
> I suspect they would deliver the same benefits in a flash.  As you say,
> they do need a charger that can sense when the batteries are charged up and
> cut off or reduce charging current to a very small trickle.
>
> --Peter Klein
> Seattle, WA

Peter, they are ,according to the manufacturer "rechargeable Alkaline batteries"

I don't think, NiMH batteries have a 1.5V Emf. I also believe, that's why theses
batteries have only relatively small number of recharge cycles. 25 to 30 according
to the manufacturer. However, as said before, mine have been charged about 50 times
so far.

The charger I bought is from this company. It came in a packet with charger and 4
AA cells. The whole package was about us $15.- (Aus$27.-)

Regards, Horst Schmidt.