Subject: Re: [Leica] Black M2's and DAG
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:15:05 -0800

>A few days ago I reported that I had met a repair man in the mid 70's who
>was gold plating cameras, on a custom basis.  While I remember the name as a
>Mr. Goldberg, it seems that Don Goldberg of DAG fame is not the person
>involved.  One of our list member called Don and established that Don is not
>the person I had met.
>
>I stand corrected.
>
>Frank Filippone

Frank,

I would suggest that the man in question *was indeed* Mr. Goldberg. My
reasoning is strictly etymological: had the gentleman silver plated
cameras, he undoubtedly would have been called "Mr. Silverberg" (given the
indisputable though mysterious bond uniting words and things [see M.
Foucault, "Les mots et les choses" {English translation: "The Order of
Things"}]); were he a black painter of cameras, he would most probably be
named Mr. Blackpaintberg; a titanium plater, Mr. Titaniumberg, etc and so
on.

God would have it no other way! He looks down upon all manner of lexical
tomfoolery, wordish hijinx, and semantic shenanigans of every fashion.
Remember: "In the beginning there was the verb" (the adverb came only
later, when God was resting).

Be sure: Mr. Goldberg gold paints! Refute the naysayers! Stand up for what
you believe! And if they shout you down, send them back to the Bible! Let's
see them argue with that!

Guy Bennett!