Subject: Re: [Leica] Vuescan update
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:42:22 -0500

on 1/30/01 9:55 AM, Pascal at cyberdog@attglobal.net wrote:

>> vuescan doesn't support USB scanners on the mac, that's the problem
>
> and it does for Windoze ?
>
> discrimination !!!
> :-)

Ed (the author) sez it's because he has to write custom code for each and
every USB driver on the mac. However he's absolutely not a mac head and the
mac port is kind of knuckleheaded (it uses really strange ported unix
libraries to do the GUI... I could do the same thing better in realbasic in
about 30 minutes). So who knows if this is really true or just a
hands-up-in-the-air can't-really-be-bothered thing?

Ditto re firewire I think.

This is really not too much of a problem as most hi-end filmscanners are
still SCSI but he's going to have to either (a) address it or (b) kiss
goodbye to his Mac userbase within the next year or so.

What I really want to happen is for a consortium of scanner manufacturers to
offer Ed a bundle deal whereby he converts the code of vuescan into the
backend of a universal scanner driver, and they pay for some GUI jock to do
the front end properly. Ed's image processing code is clearly better than
almost anything else out there, and if the manufacturers supported him
they'd save themselves a BUNDLE on writing their own (just awful) custom
drivers. Ed could buy a new car and a house in the country and we'd all live
happily ever after.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com