Subject: Re: [Leica] Vuescan update
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:37:51 -0500

on 1/30/01 4:50 PM, Andrew Moore at dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu wrote:

>>> What I really want to happen is for a consortium of scanner
>>> manufacturers to offer Ed a bundle deal whereby he converts the code of
>>> vuescan into the backend of a universal scanner driver, and they pay
>>> for some GUI jock to do the front end properly.
>
> If "properly" means something like the awful front ends that come with the
> HP PhotoSmart or Nikon LS-30 scanners, this would be the worst thing that
> could possibly happen to Ed's software.

Yes, of course that's exactly what I meant. Note to self -- never ever
underestimate the power of deliberate bloody minded obtuseness :S

Properly means something that's intuitive enough you don't have to dive into
the manual to figure out what things do, which adheres to the mac human
interface guidelines that every other mac app uses, and which implements
threading correctly so that the application doesn't continually update the
wrong window and evenutally crash!

> Vuescan's front end may not be glitzy and may be "techie" oriented, but
> it's simple and functional -- just like the Leica.

LOL

It's about the most un-Leica like thing I've ever seen. Simple?? It has
sixteen gazillion different controls, most of them numeric, and is all but
impossible to use in non-default mode without having the humungous help file
open at the same time! If you wanted to compare it to a camera, it would
have to be a bad russian copy of a speed graphic.

Don't get me wrong, I use Vuescan a lot, but that is a godawful front end.

Let me guess, you use a PC, right?

(don't worry, Brian, only kidding)

- --
Johnny Deadman