Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: @#&$$& Watermarks!!
From: "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:24:37 -0500

There are different types of acetate film base.  Some, which I have heard
called diacetate, give off acetic acid and can deterioriate rather
dramatically.  They look like nitrate but don't burn.  The good acetate
(triacetate?) seems rather stable but will shrink over time.

I take care of an archive of old movie film.  Shrinkage is more of a problem
for something that has to run through a projector or printer.  The same film
(60 years old) that could not be projected will run nicely through a
sprocketless film-to-tape transfer machine, and if its Kodachrome the color
will even be good!  Until recently this film was not even stored under ideal
temp and humidity conditions.  Proper storage will extend the life of film
quite a bit.

Mike Durling