Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: 50 mm f/1.4
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:09:37 -0800

And this is why I think they will intro a 50 ASPH....there is 1 ( maybe 2?
50/75 ) missing from this series....

On the topic of  ASPHerical lenses. Nikon ( I think) just announced a point
and shoot camera for $300... it has 2 aspherical glass elements.  In the old
days ( like maybe 5 years ago) all aspherical elements had to be cut on
special machines or in the real old days, were cut by hand ( Substitute
ground for cut if you so please).  Therefore expensive and rare....  Then
there was a buzz in the optical industry about casting these lenses.....
(read cheaper) then there was buzz about Leica having a special machine to
grind the lenses, then Zeiss, then..... the point being that there is great
technological innovsation in the manufacture of these lenses.....look for
more use of them, and that use to percolate down the chain....

ASPHerical lens elements don't have to be expensive.  Lately they are an
improvement in performance, but more so are a marketing advantage..... ( see
Nikon story above)  ...

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Jim Brick said......
Several stellar new M lenses. 21 ASPH, 24 ASPH, 35 ASPH, 90 APO ASPH, 135
APO.