Subject: [Leica] RE: Leica Users digest V19 #57
From: "Patrick Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:55:46 -0500

Sure sounds like a Mitsubishi 7702.  Very common, very cheap low-power
processor for embedded applications.  You find them doing things like
controlling not-very-new cordless phones or VCRs.

Now, if all you guys who have all this time to brag about writing machine
code really want to show up the likes of Tom A in terms of camera
customization, you should pop out your R8's 7702, read the ROM, and
disassemble the code.  You could, for example, find the differences in the
code between the early and later R8's.  What's more, there's a special
development version of the 7702 (probably costs $2 instead of $0.15 or
whatever) that has a one-time PROM instead of the ROM!  So you can write new
control code, hack around hardware deficiencies in the early R8's, do fun
new things with the motor drive, etc.  Maybe you could customize the
bracketing or add new metering modes.

There's only the small matter of unsoldering and resoldering 80 very tiny
pins...

Personally, I only use mechanical cameras.  The very idea of using a camera
that is running 13,000 lines of code makes me want to go out and buy another
SL MOT.  Come to think of it... No!  Get thee behind me, Ebay!

- -Patrick