Subject: RE: [Leica] Buying New Enlarger. Any suggestions?
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:43:46 -0000

Hi Rob,
After leafing through loads of old Leica Fotografies (I must compile an
index one of these days) I found the item, from issue 7/1987, p.39/40.
The old box offered 50% illumination in the corners, relative to 100% in
the centre at F2.8, this increased to 70% at F5.6 and at best 75% (74.9 to
be precise) at F8.
In comparison, the new box offered (for the same f-stops) 51.5%, 93.8% and
94.6%.

The new box had two diffusing lenses at its base though this is hard to see
from the outside. Like a centre filter, these are more transparent towards
the corners. This more even illumination was achieved by reducing light to
the centre. There is a small raised dot in one of the corners at the base
of the illumination box to identify this later model.

It was fitted from late 1986 apparently but no large scale announcement was
made, it was a 'continuous improvement'. Sorry, I've no info on when that
coincided with serial numbers. The article said that owners of existing
V35s can upgrade their  enlarger by 'simply exchanging the mixing chamber
(supplied through Leitz dealers).' This almost suggests they were available
as a free replacement, good luck if you can find one. ;-)

Hope this helps,
Jem