Subject: [Leica] Re: visual conceit
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:39:56 -0800

At 10:49 AM 1/31/01 -0500, Cmrausr@aol.com wrote:

>Do we indulge ourselves with outdated, hard to use Leica equipment, and miss
>out on opportunities for more creative images, because we are afraid that if
>it is easier, photography as an art and craft is somehow lessened in
>importance?
>
>Is use of Leica equipment a form of visual conceit, a belief that somehow the
>equipment will provide a certain amount of legitimacy to images that are
>otherwise useless?
>
>Scott Stewart

My experience, as an old timer in this "photo" game, is that the "new" and
"easier" forms of photography do nothing but get in my way. AE and AF,
which allow a neophyte the ability to make technically reasonable
photographs, hinder the ability of someone steeped in the craft of
photography, to subconsciously and personally control all aspects of the
image forming process. An intuitive process that comes from years of
practice with those outdated and hard to use pieces of equipment. Those
pieces that laid the foundation of photography.

Turning the "craft of photography" over to a computer programmer, sitting
in a cubicle, somewhere in the far east, is not my idea of what photography
is all about. It is faux photography. Real photography takes real knowledge
and real experience. You should be the inspiration, and the executioner of
that inspiration.

If someone buys a canvas with those color coded numbers, buys the color
coded paints, fills in the numbers, with real oil paint, producing a real
painting, are they a painter? Faux painter yes, real painter, no.

Just look at the work of Ted and Tina. Faux no. Real yes. Intuitive
execution of personal inspiration using the simplest of tools. Quiet
confidence from knowing the craft.

http://www.tinamanley.com
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant/homepage.html/

:-)