Subject: RE: [Leica] Kudos to Tim Atherton
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:03:00 -0700

Thanks Emanuel,

not quite sure which pic they used, they didn't have one on the web version.

The NY Times Bureau Chief for Canada (who - confusingly - is based in
Denver) has a real interest in stories from outside Ottawa/Toronto. He has
been up to Yellowknife twice in the last 6 months and has quite an interest
in Northern stories. I've worked with him on stories on the diamond mining
industry, tourism, the Eskimo dogs and Global Warming/Northwest
Passage/Canadian Sovereignty.

The Eskimo dogs was fun (I ended up doing two stories on them in the same
week!) Unfortunately, shot all on Nikon  :) - it was -39c to -40c all that
week. And of course, not much daylight even around midday. My M6 seizes up
in that cold (the F4 worked fine for the 2 hours I was shooting...) +
autofocus helped with dogs running around totally excited by someone to play
with (at one time, while crouching down to get a shot I was totally
smothered by two other dogs who were very interested in the wolverine fur on
my parka - those dogs are BIG buggers!).
As well, I really needed fill flash for many of the shots - so there you go.

BUT - a number of the other shots they have used WERE shot with M6  :)

Oh, and I was also quoted in another article in the NY Times, about native
youth suicide - an area in which I used to work.

Tim A

Tim Atherton,
Tim Atherton Photography,
PO Box 515,
Yellowknife, NT, X1A 2N4,
Canada.

Ph/Fx 867 669 9874

PHOTOJOURNALISM * EDITORIAL * DOCUMENTARY * STOCK

Available at www.picturedesk.org
and www.presslink.com & www.newscom.com

Visit a work in progress at: www.KairosPhoto.com