Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: D1X and D1H. was: A new mechanical-electronic shutter
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 20:15:50 -0500

lucien jotted down the following:

> The D1X however is supposed to be equipped with a new CCD-sensor which offers
> a physical resolution of 5.3 megapixels (4,024 x 1,324 light-sensitive cells).
> By using a horizontal compression by factor 0.75 x and an inversed vertical
> interpolation by factor 1.5 x the camera would produce image files with an
> effective maximum resolution of 3,000 x 1,960 pixels (file size uncompressed
> 18 Mbytes).

OK -- I'm no digital imaging expert, but it seems peculiar to me that they
squish and sqeeze the image like that.  Who's our resident expert?  There's
someone on this list that does this stuff "for real" ;)  What's the gain?

M.

- --
Martin Howard               | "...key features are the distinctive rear
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU | lighting clusters that make the Maserati
email: howard.390@osu.edu   | 3200GT instantly recognizable to anyone
www: http://mvhoward.i.am/  | overtaken by it."  -- Maserati sales lit.