Subject: Re: [Leica] Collapse-able Summicron 50mm
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:27:57 -0800

At 4:11 PM +1100 2/1/01, Peter Zak wrote:
>Can anybody offer any feedback on this piece of glass, dates from the 50's
>
>Are the optics coated, is the front element really that soft and prone to
>scratching and is the lens resistant to flare ?
>
>What were the results like, do it compare well to the latest design (I know
>Erwin has a document comparing these but I'm after user feedback).
>
>Thanks in advance....
>
>Peter Zak.

This is a great lens, if yours is unscratched. I had one for many
years, and was always happy with the results. It isn't as sharp as
the latest, but has the Leica 'glow' (undercorrected spherical
aberration). It is relatively flare resistant when compared to its
contemporaries, but not when compared to current production. The
coatings _are_ soft, so take care. This is one case where a UV filter
should be considered more often than with modern lenses. I didn't use
one on mine, but I always used a lens shade. For some reason I still
have it; one of those barndoor collapsible ones. Also I rarely
cleaned it. If I found one in the same shape I sold mine in, I'd be
tempted to buy it even though I really have enough 50's. It's that
pleasing.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design