Subject: Re: [Leica] Collapse-able Summicron 50mm
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:06:25 -0500

At 04:11 PM 2/1/2001 +1100, Peter Zak wrote:
>Are the optics coated, is the front element really that soft and prone to
>scratching and is the lens resistant to flare ?
>
>What were the results like, do it compare well to the latest design (I know
>Erwin has a document comparing these but I'm after user feedback).

The front element is not "soft";  the coatings used until the late 1950's,
though, were drip coatings and WERE quite soft.  This is a fine tool for a
buyer, as many lenses listed as having a scratched front element only
suffer from worn coatings, which can be readily replaced by someone such as
John Van Stelten.

The lens is a gorgeous hunk of glass, though the rigid and NF are even
better optically.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!