Subject: [Leica] Fill flash
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 21:53:04 +0100

Rob, When you get a chance and if you are so inclined, can you tell us
about your approach to using fill flash? You applied it so nicely in
these India shots.  Thanks.  /matt

Believe me Matt, I'm no technician. I used flash mainly when using the R6
for the Lansdowne Road story and there I used a Metz 32Z whatever. Just set
it to auto -1 stop of the light reading and ditto the camera aperture. That
means the background's pretty underexposed but the foreground is quite well
exposed. Hence the darkish look of the pictures, such as the one of Bochha.
The Metz I found to be extremely reliable and quick to use, although with a
limited range of aperture settngs.
I found the M6 so fiddly to do flash with that I largely gave up! One way
to discover the beauties of available light. But it was becoming a bit of a
default, so maybe it's just as well.
Right now I'm lusting for a Metz 54 - looks nice, like it would also
balance well on the body. Like that second reflector.
BTW, thanks for pointing out the wrong slash on the links - I programmed
Unix/Dos/Cpm for a number of years a long time ago and can no longer
remember which is correct. It should be OK now.
Rob.

Images of India at http://www.robertappleby.com